Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summer Blahs and uninspireing fabrics... TA DA!

I haven't been blogging much lately. I have just been feeling kinda Blah.
I wanted to use up some of my stash that just was not fabric that was my favorites. You know that stuff that was at the bottom of a box or bag of fabric you buy at a yard sale or thrift store. I added in a few scraps of other stuff. My idea at first was to make a coin quilt. I put together a small quilt of it and did not like it at all. More of the Blahs! So cut some squares and mindlessly chain sewed some 9 patches with this not so inspiring fabric. I figured they would become some UFOs till the muse hit me and I could get on with another project. Blah blah blah.


I did not like the 9 patch blocks next to each other. I found some yellowish cream fabric and sewed strips around the blocks. ( they are kinda all different sizes not real square) So what if I made them wonky? hmmm. I started running short on the background fabric ended up using three different fabrics but they went together ok.
I kinda like them. I need to tweek the lay out some before I start sewing them together. Hey! I kinda like this. Super size the first picture It doesn't look so Blah! Hey maybe my muse hit me.

6 comments:

  1. I think your muse did, in fact, find you! I think if a person just keeps working through a slump, eventually the blahs go away!

    I love the scrappiness of this wonky nine patch. All those blues and reds give it an American feel. But because of the other color sprinkled in, it's relaxed and more subdued than a pre-planned patriotic quilt.This quilt makes me think of pies, too. Apple, cherry, blueberry and lemon...American pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you did. My aunt loves to use different tints of the same color. She has a beautiful square in a square with yellow centers and different shades of dark blue. Like you she ran out of the fabric she was going to use and had to make do. she ended up loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOH! I could work those over! what fun to try a lot of different things on those blocks! Love the Wonky, Go crazy! have fun with it. no need to be blah! be Fabulous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...I'm so glad you 'worked' through some of your blahs and created such a fun quilt top...you go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of scrappy quilts! Start a different project; that always helps me with the blahs! That's how come I end up with so many UFO'S........LOL!

    Please visit my blog to sign up for my first FREE giveaway! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how it looks, being scrapy. If you want a totally different look, try a skinny sashing between the blocks. I saw one done that way and it looked really cute.

    ReplyDelete